Borrowing from memes of the holiday season, I have devised a list of (mostly) essential things to do for planning your trip. These twelve things need not take place on consecutive days nor in the exact order as below.
- Pick a destination. Consider the political climate, weather and type of trip available for your destination.
- Book your trip.
- Buy insurance for your trip. You never know…
- Get your documents in order for your trip. Is your passport up to date? Do you need a visa? If so, how long will it take to obtain one?
- Investigate diseases at your destination and any vaccinations you may require.
- Research your destination for things to do, costs and climate so you can prepare accordingly.
- Choose appropriate clothing to bring and make a list of other things you’ll need (toiletries, medications, etc).
- Do a money exchange so you have some cash in local or widely accepted currency for your arrival.
- Notify your bank, credit card company and family of travel plans.
- Do your final pack and make any changes necessary to streamline your luggage.
- Double check your flight/train departure times and go over your list of things to bring to make sure you have everything you need (prescriptions refill? enough toothpaste?)
- Clean your home ie take out the garbage, wash dishes, clean floors and clear your kitchen of perishable items. Who wants to come home to a nasty/smelly surprise?
Happy travel planning!