Awhile ago I ran a December widget entitled the Advent of Holiday Travel: a checklist to prepare for a trip abroad. This can be applied to travel anytime of year, not just the holiday season. In case you missed it, here is the list again:
- Check that your passport is up-to-date. For most countries this means that your passport must be valid at least 6 months past the return date from your trip.
- Check at least a few months in advance to see if your destination requires a visa.
- Get your inoculations and travel medications in order. Visiting a travel clinic a few months prior to departure is ideal.
- Inform your bank about your trip dates so they can put a holiday advisory on your account and credit cards. Who wants to be overseas with no access to funds?
- Inspect travel documents (airline ticket, hotel/tour vouchers, etc.) for correct information. Make copies – one to keep on your persons and one to give to your emergency contact person at home.
- Arrange for bills to be paid up to date and mail to be collected for the duration of your trip.
- Buy travel insurance. A small price to pay for peace of mind and funds for unexpected medical expenses, trip interruption and lost luggage.
- Get cash! Have some local currency and popular currency (USD, Euros) in small denominations for your arrival.
- Research what you can expect from your destination: weather, local customs, attractions, etc.
- Determine how much money you will need and the form in which it is accepted: cash, traveller’s cheque, accepted bank cards, ATMs.
- Determine voltage at destination and make sure to have appropriate plugs.
- Put together a first-aid kit customized to your destination.