Here are some tidbits I learned and found interesting about Ecuador. I hope you find them interesting too.
- Cotopaxi, located south of Quito, is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world. (I climbed part of it!)
- Ecuador means equator and this imaginary line passes through the country. Interestingly you weigh half a kilogram less here because of the effect of gravity at the centre of the earth or ‘la mitad del mundo’ in Español.
- At 2850m above sea level, Quito is the second highest capital city in the world. La Paz, Bolivia is first at 3640m.
- Lunch is the most important meal of the day so restaurants may not always be open for dinner.
- Recent studies say that it was here that the cacao tree was first domesticated. Trade, however, brought the plant to Mesoamerica (modern-day Central America) where it is popularly assumed to have originated in Mexico. More on chocolate in another post…
- Cuy or guinea pig is food here not a pet. Tastes like chicken? I will never find out first hand.