One need not be a gym rat nor possess special equipment to make a regular habit of exercise. Here are some truly functional ways to keep fit in everyday life.
- Interval training can be achieved by walking then running as you near a light that’s about to turn red.
- Carry groceries rather than wheel them to help with upper body endurance.
- When taking the stairs walk every one, two or three steps at a time.
- When getting out of a chair, squeeze your gluteal muscles upon standing.
- Use commercial breaks to do a few quick exercises (ab crunches, plank, tree pose…)
- Forgo the fancy equipment and use old-fashioned manual power in the kitchen.
- Cleaning and gardening count as physical activity. Make sure to use good posture when doing your chores (i.e. bend from the knees and hips rather than waist/back; avoid rounding of the upper back).