Chefs have their knives, mechanics have their wrenches and travellers have their portable gadgets. Travel stores and camping stores often sell these items, some of them quite snazzy, and they help to make travel that much more comfortable. Over the years, I have purchased a variety of things, some of which have become staples in my travel pack. Here are just a few of my faves in recent years.
- head lamp: whether going to the bathroom in the middle of the night in the middle of the desert (ah, I remember the Sahara and the desert ‘pebbles’) or for use when there’s no electricity, head lamps provide a hands-free way to navigate your dark surroundings.
- yoga travel mat: no excuse anymore to not workout on the road.
- waterproof camera bag: ideal for protecting any small electronic device to help extend their life and function.
- sleep sac: a cross between a sleeping bag and bedsheet, these lightweight and very portable sleep sacs offer a layer of protection between you and some dubious bedding at your accommodation.
- travel towel: often quick-dry and odour resistant these small travel towels barely add any weight nor take up much space in your luggage.
A shout out to MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) for providing all of the above.