Travelling in the off-season helps make it more affordable to do for the independent traveller on a modest budget. My trip to Iceland was largely planned around a flight deal and a cheaper time to go. Here are a few pros and cons to consider when travelling off-season.
- Weather can be inclement. Taking pictures in the rain can make for blurry photographs. Be sure to have a waterproof case to protect your camera.
- Layering is key. Pack appropriate clothing ie lightweight, water/windproof, durable, quick dry material, etc.
- Some sites may be closed or have limited operation. Plan your visit accordingly.
- Flights and accommodations are usually cheaper. You may even have a whole row to yourself on the plane!
- There are smaller crowds; less chance that someone will unwittingly photobomb your perfect shot.
- They let their guard down. Off season can give you a chance to get a feel for what a place is really like beyond the tourist facade.