Wellness Wednesday on December 21, 2016
Today in the northern hemisphere is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and the start of the Yuletide season. Going forward, the days will get a little extra sunlight culminating in the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.
In Canada, it’s hard to escape anything Christmas this time of year. Cold weather means carbs and there are lots of them on offer at the holiday season. This week’s meditation is on food.
Whether you indulge in a holiday treat or consume something seasonal and healthy, set aside at least 5 minutes with just you and the food; no phone, tv, radio, dining partner(s) or other distractions. Engage all your senses as you savour your food.
- Sight: Focus on the colour, shape and size of your food.
- Hearing: Does it make a noise when it’s being cooked or eaten?
- Taste: Salty, sweet, sour, bitter, piquant, umami? Temperature?
- Smell: Inhale its aroma. Does the smell cause you to salivate and crave it more?
- Texture: How does it feel in your hands? On your tongue? Does it crunch? Is it smooth?
Chew your food well. Count each chew and try to elongate how long you do chew. Notice how it feels when you swallow. Concentrating on the act of eating without distractions allows you to release other thoughts as you get absorbed in your food.
Categories: Wellness, Wellness Wednesday
Leave a Reply