It’s that time of year when goodies abound and cooler weather and busy schedules cause us to become more sedentary than usual. For the month of December I will be presenting different meditations every Wellness Wednesday to help keep you balanced. And speaking of balance…
A fitness meditation. Focus: balance
For a few minutes everyday, practice the following balance exercise.
- Stand up straight on both legs with feet hip distance apart. Breathe deeply and slowly. As you inhale, bring your attention to the task at hand. As you exhale, let go of any distractions to your mind and senses.
- Stand on one leg. Bring your arms to your side at shoulder height to help with balance.
- Hinge forward from the hips as you tip your upper body forward. The lifted leg should extend behind you while both hips point towards the floor. Hold this position for a couple of steady breaths.
- As you get comfortable with this move, try getting the lifted leg parallel with the floor. It helps to bend the knee of your standing leg to do this. The next level is to reach your arms forward (biceps near ears) as you extend your leg back.
- For an extra challenge, perform one-legged squats while in this position. You can keep your arms at your sides or on hips for this.
- Repeat with other leg.
Consciously breathe while you perform this exercise. For those in the know, this is indeed warrior III, a yoga pose.
This exercise is a great introduction to being focused. Distractions such as something that catches your eye or thoughts that occupy your mind must be relinquished in order to focus on the task at hand.
Be aware of how you feel each time you perform this exercise. Also take note of how you progress with this exercise after performing it regularly.