Apparently digital detox is a thing. It is a break from technical devices like smartphones, computers and tablets. While we can make use of these devices, not practising moderation when we do so can negatively impact our health and well-being.
Here are some tips to help you cleanse from overuse of digital devices and the need/pressure to be constantly connected.
- Unplug devices and let the batteries drain. It will be at least a few hours before your devices are up and running again; you’ll be forced to make do without them.
- Set the automatic/vacation reply setting on your e-mail to let people know you will get back to them eventually.
- Take a social media hiatus (ie no Facebook, Twitter, snapchat, etc.)
- Stop using digital devices at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Leave your cellphone at home on your day off.
- Take a weekend getaway from the computer: no e-mail, googling, etc. Read real books for entertainment, newspapers for news or simply get outside into nature.
A sick relative or other reason may make wifi access necessary. You can always set a special ringtone to alert you in case of emergency.
Categories: Wellness, Wellness Wednesday
Leave a Reply