There’s no need to spend an exorbitant amount of money to have a spa treatment. The following is a recipe using ingredients that most travellers will usually have access to.
Scrubs are a popular skin treatment that helps exfoliate and moisturize skin.
exfoliate – removal of dead skin cells from the top layer of skin (epidermis)
The following banana scrub can be used on your body and face. If using on your face, omit the sugar. You will need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (for use on body, but not face)
- a couple drops of lavender, rose and/or roman chamomile. (Make sure to do a patch test to check for sensitivity.)
- Mash the banana with essential oil until it becomes a chunky paste. Set some banana mix aside, then carefully mix in the granulated sugar with the remaining banana paste. ,
- In the shower, use soap and water to get clean. Rinse off then apply appropriate banana mixture to your body and face. Gently massage in, careful to avoid the eye and other sensitive areas.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Bananas are readily available in most markets. It is often cheaper to buy a bunch rather than just a couple so that one banana you don’t get around to eating will be ripe and ready for this banana scrub recipe. Airlines, cafés and restaurants will have plenty of sugar packets; a few should do. And hopefully you are already travelling with an aromatherapy kit which contains one of the skin-friendly oils listed above.