Even though it snowed, again, the other night, it is officially spring, at least by the calendar. As nature attempts to clear away the cobwebs of winter and let the new season bloom, we too can take a leaf from nature’s book and ‘spring clean’ ourselves.
Here are five wellness tips for spring cleaning your body, mind and spirit.
- Declutter – Not just for homes, decluttering can be done with your luggage. Remove all unnecessary items. Besides some clothes, toiletries, medications, important travel documents and personal items (book to read, camera, phone, etc) there should be nothing else taking up precious space in you small ‘home on the road’.
- Detox – Eat cleansing foods ie raw, green vegetables. ‘Tis the season for baby greens (spinach, kale) and a whole variety of other seasonal produce. Raw or partially cooked vegetables in a salad with a side of protein suits a meal this time of year.
- Destress – Take a few minutes out of everyday to just be. With all the flowers in bloom, perhaps literally take time to stop and smell the roses.
- Get clean – Make sure personal care items like soap and lotion are all natural (ie plant-based) and not past their expiry date.
- Get outside – Take your workout routine outside. Jog, hike, walk or cycle instead of using the treadmill and stationary bike. Do body weight exercises in the park. A bench is a great tool for push-ups and tricep dips.