Hey, that’s NEAT.
NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It’s any physical movement that is not exercise and accounts for a portion of our daily metabolic output. Simply engaging in active living can increase the amount of calories you burn.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, escalator or moving sidewalk.
- Open doors manually rather than use the wheelchair button, which, by the way, is not meant for lazy people, but that’s a rant for another time…
- Carry your own bags rather than wheel them around or have a porter do it for you.
- When sitting, practice some stretching exercises or do a little chair yoga.
- Walk everywhere all the time whenever possible.
- And for those staying in self-catering accommodations, hand wash your laundry and bake/cook manually without using electrically powered kitchen appliances.
The majority of calories needed by the body daily go towards sustaining life and participating in NEAT. Only a small percentage of calories is burned through exercise alone. Be weal, be active and be NEAT for good health.