One love, one heart
let’s get together and feel alright
~lyrics for One Love by Bob Marley~
One Love Wellness Bootcamp – edition Rastasthan
Develop and maintain healthy habits and make the pursuit of wellness a lifestyle.
Culturally-inspired tips for your journey to wellness.
Tips are intended for the general population. For those with special considerations or those wanting a custom plan, please consult the appropriate professional.
Gymuary is in full swing – the time of year when people, enthused with their New Year’s resolutions populate the gym even though they are not usually avid gym-goers. No need to fight the crowds at the gym to do your workout. The following tips can be done anywhere by just about anyone. This week’s to-do list for Rastasthan is as follows:
- Take a midday walk outside for 20 minutes. If you are in the cold northern hemisphere during January, a brisk walk outside between the hours of 11am and 4pm helps you take advantage of daylight hours that help uplift your mood. Walking is also great exercise for those of any fitness level.
- Open wide and say ‘om’. The chanting of this symbolic sound is a practice borrowed from yoga. Before your sun salutations or bedtime, sit in a comfortable position and chant the sound a few times. Notice how you feel.
OM: What Is It & Why Do We Chant It?
- The Bollywood seated shoulder dance. Shrug your shoulders while lifting your arms to shoulder height. Move arms side to side. Do this during the commercial break when watching your favourite t.v. program. Alternately, perform it standing as demonstrated in the following video:
- Dahl or lentils are a hallmark of Indian cuisine. Learn how to love these pulses and make them a regular part of your diet. Why you should eat more lentils in 2016
- Other popular food staples in Indian cuisine are garlic and ginger. Combine a couple of cloves of garlic and a piece of peeled ginger in a food processor. Purée them into a paste and use in cooking. The paste should keep for several days in an airtight container in the fridge. Garlic and ginger are known to have many health benefits.
- Create an uplifting and antiseptic room spray by combining a couple drops each of the citrus oils (orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, tangerine) in a spray bottle with filtered water. Add a drop or two of geranium, frankincense or cedarwood oil. Spritz when you need a mental pick-me-up. *Make sure the essential oils you use are therapeutic grade. Consult a professional aromatherapist for guidance on safe blending and use of essential oils.
- Cultivate a bedtime yoga routine with some relaxing poses.
6 Soothing yoga poses to help you sleep
How did you do with week 1? Are the sun salutations a habit now? Will you make grains a regular part of your diet? Is there any soap left?
*The best 6 doctors in the world! Sunshine, water, rest, air, exercise & diet!
*Healthy is not only a destination. It is a way of life.
*Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson~