Travel can be taxing on the digestive system. Though TD, travellers’ diarrhea, is commonly experienced, the opposite effect can occur too. Jet lag, a change in routine and eating habits can result in obstruction of the digestive tract.
- Keep moving so your digestive system does too; yet another reason to exercise while on the road.
- Eat adequate amounts of fibre; cooked vegetables, fruit and beans are good choices.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Relax; stress can inhibit digestive activity.
- Rub the belly in the direction of digestion. Start at the bottom right side of abdomen, go up across and above navel and then down on your left side. This encourages the flow of traffic in your digestive tract.
- Use essential oils and spices that encourage digestion e.g. cinnamon, ginger, peppermint.